Food intoxicants are the substances present in food which are toxic to body.
DIFFERENT TYPE OF FOOD INTOXICANTS:
1. Beta Oxayl Amino Alanine present in khesari dal (Neuro latharism).
4. Sanguinarine from argemone seeds (Epidemic dropsy).
5. Pyrodizine alkaloid in Jhunjhunia seeds (Endemic ascites).
6. Fusarium toxins.
CONTROL OF EPIDEMIC DROPSY:
A. Argemone oil is orange colour with an acrid odour & can be detected by following tests-
1. NITRIC ACID TEST: Development of brown to orange-red colour in a test tube of oil added with nitric acid, indicates argemone oil.
2. PAPER CHROMATOGRAPHY TEST: Most sensitive test detecting 0.0001% of argemone oil.
B. Removing the argemone weeds growing among the oil seed crops.
C. Strict enforcement of prevention & Food Adulteration Act to deal with culprits.
© 2017 Medshale - All rights reserved